How are participants' needs determined and met?

  • An ATR Coordinator meets with every participant to do an initial intake and develop an individualized recovery plan.
  • Participants identify services that will support their recovery by choosing between the STR/ATR providers.
  • The ATR Coordinator refers participants to STR/ATR providers for services.
  • The ATR Coordinator authorizes vouchers for those services, defining the number of units (amount of service) and dollar value that has been approved.
  • ATR Coordinators work to connect participants with community-based services, treatment and other recovery networks outside the STR/ATR provider community, as needed.

Who is Eligible?

Click here to print out the eligibility checklist (English)

Can individuals refer themselves to STR/ATR?

No. Everyone who wishes to participate in STR/ATR must be connected to an organization within the recovery community. That organization must refer the individual.

How do people who are released from encarceration get into STR/ATR?

There are several ways. They can talk to the staff in the jail who will be informed about ATR. Also, they can get referred to a recovery organization in the community and ask that organization to refer them to ATR.

Are you serving veterans?

We are very eager to serve those who have served in the U.S. Military.

How do I refer a client to STR/ATR?

In Greater Springfield, contact:
IHR (Institute for Health & Recovery)
155 Maple Street, Suite 304
Springfield, MA 01105
  • ATR Coordinator Jackie Segarra (617) 845-6403
  • ATR Coordinator Omar Delgado (413) 237-0049 
For the Downtown Boston Office, contact:
IHR (Institute for Health & Recovery)
105 Chauncy Street, Suite #602
Boston, MA 02111
  • ATR Coordinator - Patricial Exilus (617) 645-7668
  • ATR Coordinator - Raymond Joyner (617) 999-9055
  • Client Services Coordinator - Stella Stewart (617) 849-6994 (New Intakes Only)
For the South Boston Office, contact:
Gavin Foundation
70 Devine Way
South Boston, MA 02127
  • ATR Coordinator - Rebecca Reilly (857) 496-7344
  • ATR Coordinator - Kathy Curley (857) 496-7343
  • ATR Coordinator - Stephen Steele (857) 496-7339
In New Bedford, contact:
Gavin Foundation
13 North 6th Street
New Beford, MA 02740
  • ATR Coordinator - Jenny Baker (508) 742-6640
In Worcester, contact:
Gavin Foundation
101 Pleasant Street, Suite #101
Worcester, MA 01609
  • ATR Coordinator - John Abbott (508) 459-9645

What are the categories of services offered in STR/ATR?

  • Basic Needs Purchasing
  • Employment Services
  • Faith-Based Services
  • Group Services
  • Housing Support
  • Registry of Motor Vehicles
  • Health & Wellness
  • Peer Support
  • Transportation

Why should my agency become an STR/ATR Provider?

  • Receive payment for services that are not presently reimbursed.
  • Receive additional revenue to support program enhancements.
  • Participants already in your agency can obtain non-traditional recovery support services that will help them in their recovery, and they can be paid for by STR/ATR.
  • You will be part of a network that partners with participants, providers, and the state to develop a comprehensive recovery support system and will add needed services to the continuum.
  • You will receive training, capacity-building, and technical assistance from local and national consultants.

What does my agency need to consider before applying to be an STR/ATR Provider?

  • What services could your organization offer STR/ATR participants?
  • Do you have a special niche, i.e., languages spoken, multi-cultural staff, easy access by public transportation?
  • How can you best market those services to entice participants to choose your agency?
  • What will be your process for initially meeting with these participantss? Who will they call? How will they make the appointment?

How does my agency become an STR/ATR Provider?

Visit the Program Information page.

What if our agency becomes overwhelmed by the number of participants coming to us?

A provider can suspend referrals at any time if the organization's capacity is full at any given time. All the provider has to do is call our Provider Help Line at: (855) 491-4567 and we will make sure no additional participants are referred to you until you let us know to start up again.

Can providers terminate for any reason?

Yes, providers can ask to be removed from our Provider Network at any time. Also, if the provider has reached its capacity in terms of staff capacity to service participants, the provider can ask to have referrals temporarily turned off. Then when it is possible to begin to accept them again, we can turn the referral switch back on!

Do participants have a limited number of vouchers they can receive?

Yes, participants have a limited amount of dollars they can use on vouchers.

How do new ideas for services get relayed to the MA Bureau of Substance Abuse Services?

Call (978) 261-1424 and ask to speak to Rebecca Starr, Project Director.

How do we get churches on board that have never had a contract with government?

We are extremely interested in engaging the faith-based community. Please encourage them to go to our website for information and ask them to contact:

Mike Ellis: Phone: (617) 624-5097; Email: michael.ellis@dph.state.ma.us

Are there any types of services for which STR/ATR vouchers cannot pay for?

Yes. If a service can be reimbursed through health insurance or BSAS or other government grant funding, STR/ATR cannot pay. STR/ATR can only pay for services not reimbursed through any other means.

Can STR/ATR vouchers pay for medication?

Since most medications are paid through health insurance, STR/ATR will be able to pay for co-pays only or medical support that is not covered by third party billing/insurance.