ATR Grievance Policy and Procedure
The MA Access to Recovery (ATR) program’s grievance policy encourages participants served by the program to voice complaints and/or grievances if they believe they have been treated unjustly or unfairly and to seek a resolution through a formalized procedure. Participants can submit a grievance – without fear of penalty or loss of services – regarding services provided through ATR. This document outlines the structured process that will be utilized to manage participant complaints. Participants who wish to lodge a grievance must first bring the complaint to the provider agency and follow their internal process/procedure before elevating the complaint to ATR’s administrator, Advocates for Human Potential, Inc. (AHP). The steps in the process are as follows:
ATR participant files a grievance with the provider agency and goes through their internal process.
- After a resolution is reached, if the participant does not feel the grievance was handled appropriately by the provider agency, the participant can then file a grievance with AHP.
Participant will fill out and submit an ATR Grievance Form (*download form below)
- AHP-ATR Project Director will present the grievance form to the Leadership Team who will:
- Review all materials provided
- Review the participant record in Falling Colors
- Speak with the ATR provider
- Speak with the reported witnesses or other parties (if needed)
- Discuss past precedent
- Reach consensus on a decision
- Participants will be notified of the decision via email
After the decision by AHP has been provided, if the participant still feels that the grievance was not handled satisfactorily, or if the complaint is against AHP, the participant can file a formal complaint with BSAS. The decision delivered by BSAS is final.
Mail: MA Department of Public Health
Attn: Nicole Schmitt
Bureau of Substance Addiction Services
250 Washington Street, 3rd Floor
Boston, MA 02108-4619
Grievance Form Upload
For active ATR participants ONLY. If you have completed the grievance process through your provider agency and feel it was mishandled, please download the ATR grievance form above and upload the completed form below.